Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rearranging our schedule

I am guessing that the phase of nap/sleep that we are in right now will be a passing one, so I thought I would document it now.

We are in a phase of rearranging our nap a bit, which on the surface sounds like an easy enough task, but no, no my friend - this effects everything else in the day - amounts and times of meals, sleep at night, moods, times for leaving the house, and so on.

After some advice from my big brother to easy my imposed schedule a bit and let John tell me what he wants to change to (yes, the imposed schedule is due to my need for control, BUT the schedule works for John and he was doing great up until a couple of weeks ago).

So - I stopped waking up him up around 7:45 (I only did this in order to fit two naps in during the day and still be tired at night)..... WOW, I had no idea the kid was such a sleeper! The past several days I am lucky to hear his voice on the monitor before 8:30! Sometimes closer to 9:00!!!

He has not really been tired until 11:00 or 11:30 in the morning, so I keep him up a bit longer and we eat lunch before nap. He has not extended his nap past 1.5 hours, but I hear that will get better. So, he is not getting a 2nd nap, or it is only about 30 minutes if he does decide to go down. This is making for some very cranky evenings. But each day it seems to get a bit easier and he throws less and less tantrums (sucks for Daddy when he gets home from work; I believe Daddy refers to him as a "peach" during these times :)).

Nonetheless, I really just wanted to document the days that the baby slept until 9:00am! Who does that?!?!

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Wow- 9am! B almost never sleep that late although sometimes we dream he will. Sounds like you all are in transition and I'm sure it will work out. B loves long naps generally (or maybe he's just hanging out quietly in there, who knows?), but I hear others don't really need that long of naps as time progresses. Congrats on a brave experiment and I'm sure Brent will be delighted that you're trying his suggestion.

Summer said...

I second Abbey's "wow" above. I think the latest Kaitlin has ever slept was 8am. I know this transition is rough, and it's too bad for Carl that he only gets to see "peachy John," but he'll adjust and soon be back to his old self. And I think you'll be pleased with the freedom one nap allows you, as far as getting out of the house, etc. Plus, there are those glorious days where he will surprise you with a 3 hour nap, and you will have no idea what to do with yourself with that much time in the middle of the day. Hopefully you can get some in the summer and go lay out by the pool and read a trashy magazine like the good ol' days. ;-)

jcarr said...

Kaedyn is a night owl and typically has always slept until 8:30ish until recently when she has heard her brother letting the dogs out. Ethan, on the other hand, is an early bird and prefers sleep at night and has ALWAYS been up by 7:30 at the latest. Kaedyn has never napped "well" (at least since she was 8-9 months old) and she doesn't nap at all now! Ethan napped until he was 4. They are all so different! He will figure it out!:)