Monday, January 5, 2009

"Sleep Is For The Weak"

As the holidays have ended, Carl's deadline is today and the bowl is almost here (reason for new background) I feel like things have slowed a bit - well, that, or I have stopped worrying about all there is to do. Either way - I have had some time to dive into the book that Abbey got me for Christmas "Sleep Is For The Weak". It is a collection of blog entries from several 'mommybloggers' and edited by Rita Arens. She had started off with the intent to put together the best of her blogs to give to her daughter one day when she had a child - the project kept going and resulted in this book.

First of all - I love the idea of one day printing my blog entries and having them for all time as reminders of how things once were. I know the time with John will fly by (as it already has) and before I know it, he will be off to school, sports, girlfriends (UGH), driving, college, more girlfriends (double UGH), marriage, babies.... AAAHHHH!!!!! So, I have found a renewed commitment to blog entries for that very reason - one day passing them on to him and his wife when they have babies of their own.

Second of all - For so many reasons - WHAT A GREAT BOOK! It is short little entries, so I can pick up the book and read them during those precious and few moments of quiet (or what has become known as 'quiet' around here). It has literally made me cry from laughing so hard ("the starbucks at the end of the universe" for those of you who have or plan on getting this book), and made me tear up for those sweet or sad moments. It reminds me of the past 10.5 months and gives me some real world insight of the coming years.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with small children!

1 comment:

Summer said...

I was totally going to do a post about this book today too! Did you get my email last night? I mean, crying laughing on the couch reading it. And they say it has short little stories so you can read it when you have time - I am MAKING time to read this thing it is so good. I think I got through half last night. The potty training section had me in tears. And the one story about sleeping on the floor with her son, him saying "hold hands?" - tears of another kind. Thank you so much for this book, I'm going to buy it as a shower gift from now on!!