Monday, March 30, 2009

cue guilt....

For the past few weeks, John has been extra cuddly during the days, even when he is not tired. He has always been a cuddler, but these days, he practically begs to get in our lap or lay with us on the couch. For the first time this week he brought me his Elmo "soo big" book and then turned around and plopped down in my lap for a little story time. (sigh)

I am L.O.V.I.N.G. this! Especially the story time, I abosultly CRAVE reading to John. I know it is good for him and he loves it and it is so peaceful. We are up to 4 books before nap time and I think he would sit through more.

However - when he does not want to read a book, but he wants to cuddle, it is 95% of the time in front of the TV. Cue guilt...

I don't want him to watch "too much" tv (whatever that means), but I also know this cuddle time will not last forever, and I want to take advantage.

So, I am going to continue telling myself that it won't last forever and it is awesome bonding time for Daddy and I, and that when he is understands how much fun outside can be, or when we can do more activities, the TV will be the last thing on his mind.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, but this was more of a "venting" post, as it has been on my mind.

8 comments:

Abbey said...

Yeah, I have the tv guilt too. Mine is less defensible as I often turn it on when I HAVE to take a call and he is up. Ugghh, I know, not good. I do try to keep it very limited, and generally he is good about this too and will turn it off. I do still dream of having a snuggler. Ours is only snuggly when he's sick so I'd be all for taking the time with one who is. I definitely cuddle up as long as he'll let us given the opportunity.

Lindsey Strittmatter said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has this guilt. I think about it every day - but there are times when I just need her to be occupied so that I can get work done(wish it was because of snuggling!!!) I find that she's able to help me more with chores, so that's been a big help and fun for both of us. Folding the laundry is a favorite!

Summer said...

I think people have put too much emphasis on this TV thing. Of course you don't want your kid to become addicted, but I think most kids will never do that. I'm like Abbey, I turn it on when I HAVE to do something for work, but even then it only keeps her occupied for 10 min max before she comes and finds me (cue guilt that I try to lead her back to it so I can just finish up). But if you expose your kid to enough other stimulating activities, I'm pretty sure TV will rank very low on the scale and won't be that big of an issue. Don't you remember watching Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street? I wonder if our moms felt as guilty about that as we do now. I know that I don't consider myself a TV junkie so I think in moderation its all ok. Too many 'experts' make for more of an issue than it needs to be!

April said...

Oh I loved reading this! It made me think: You are a WONDERFUL mom.

Grammy said...

REALLY cue guilt - you guys watched TV and I don't remember being concerned!!

April said...

Jamie!
Yes - it is called MUSIC TOGETHER! Our website here is musictogetherdallas.com. I know that there is a Frisco class too!!! John is at a great age for it!! :)

Nana said...

Well...I think you should keep doing what you are doing...its working...John is PERFECT!

jcarr said...

Well, I am with Summer, "Grammy" and "Nana" on this one. LET THE GUILT GO!!!You will not allow T.V. to raise John. Ethan and Kaedyn watch every morning and as long as your kids aren't ruled by it...then I personally think it is just fine. Kaedyn has been recognizing letters for MONTHS now and I am CONVINCED it is because of Super Why!!! :) You are a wonderful mother! Enjoy the cuddles. You are right, it won't last for long! DOn't let the guilt over a little T.V. eat you up-I promise there will be TONS more in the future that will make you feel FAR more guilty!! hahaha! Love ya!;)