I wanted to document the efforts we go through to get food down John so that if/when there is a 2nd child, I can have a bag of tricks all ready.
I would not necessarily call John a 'picky' eater - but I would label him as a 'high-maintenance eater'.
Things he does while trying to feed him:
- turn his head almost all the way around
- grip his little lips super tight
- close his eyes
- spits or pulls EVERYTHING out the minute you put it in there
- block the food with his tongue
- clears the tray with a couple of violent sweeps of his arms
- continuously gives us the "all done" sign before he has even had a bite
- gives ALL the food to the dogs
Tricks we have used to get food down him
- hold a drink up to his mouth and then slip a spoonful in
- give him a helper spoon
- turn on the TV and get him in a trance
- chase everything with a bite of applesauce
- dip it in a sauce (ketchup and BBQ work the best)
- serve it on an adult spoon
- put the bowl on the high chair and let him play in it
Although the adult spoon and the sauce is currently working, I know those too will soon fade; so any other handy tricks you guys have are welcomed....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























7 comments:
Sounds like you have all the tricks down - don't have anything to add there. Letting K have her own spoon is huge though, and while she is occupied trying to get that one to her mouth, I'll grab another one and sneak a bite in. I don't mean to be making her a fast eater that scarfs down her food, but sometimes there are several minutes that pass by before she actually focuses enough to get a spoon to her mouth. We don't have all day here sweetie. ;-) Also, a trick I heard about with peas (and other veggies if your kids won't eat them like K) is to put a little bit of honey in there. I tried that tonight unsuccessfully - she just saw peas and said "NO," wouldn't even let it TOUCH her lips. But I'm going to try and try again and hopefully make some progress.
Today Brent and B had a conversation about peas being candy which was humerous, but still didn't get many more in him. The one thing I regret is constantly offering him more choices at a given meal until he ate something. Now, he thinks he can dictate what he's going to have for a meal and that just isn't going to work. So we already sound like our parents saying we're having X for dinner and that's it. Sometimes waiting awhile helps so if he has to sit while Brent (our slow eater) finishes sometimes he gets renewed interest in whatever is there.
IF/when?????
Oh Grammy....
I figure, it is not 100% up to us, so I am jsut hoping the Big Guy blesses us again.
Me too - the if/when makes me nervous! I'm going with lets just trust Him to.
That is too funny! Sorry I don't have any tricks for you. So far we've been pretty lucky with her eating habits. Of course, now that I've said that, I'll probably have trouble soon! haha.
Ben's an extremely picky eater. I was going to suggest ketchup/BBQ for dipping, as this is one of the things that works for him...but, it already made your list :).
We've been trying to cut back on snacks so that he'll be really hungry at meal time and eat what's on his plate. That has worked somewhat. Also, trying to crack down (dr. said we should have been doing this since he turned a year..oops) and not offer him a million choices at mealtimes, but instead what is served is what he gets, like it or not. But this one is hard..I think I'm too much of a softy :).
Post a Comment