Sunday, June 27, 2010

Morning Talk

One of my most favorite times is in the mornings when we have no place to be and we can take our time. On mornings like this, I go up to get John and we just talk and play in his room before we start the day. Another reason this is my favorite time is that there are no toys and you can really get him talking because he is using his imagination.

Friday morning was one of the most talkative ones I have ever had with him and I wanted to document it as it was a perfect example of conversations at this age. These stories are not necessarily funny or interesting, just a glimpse of inside his head.

Also note that although I tried to include exact wording as I remember it, there truly are no transitions into each conversation, he only stays on one subject so long. :) There was so much said, so I know I am forgetting some things, but this is my best effort.

First thing out of his mouth-

John: Did you sleep in Daddy's bed? Can you fit in my bed? You too big and Daddy is too big. I fit in here.
Me: You do fit in this bed, do you love it?
John: I love it.
Me: Do you want a big boy bed?
John: yes, where is it?
Me: We will have to get one.
John: at the store?
Me: Yes, you can pick out whatever you want
John: (jumping) I want a big boy bed, a blue one! a blue one!

(guess we are going shopping soon)

Next -

John: Where are we going today?
Me: Your friend Amelia and her baby brother August are coming over to play at your house.
John: What's that Mommy's name?
Me: Lindsey

Next:

John: I see the leaves on the trees, Giraffes eat the tall leaves, lets get in the chair and look at the giraffes.
Me: (Opening the blinds and putting him on my lap to look out the back window) Do you see the giraffes?
John: I do! the green one. A Mama, Daddy and a brother and sister giraffe.
Me: Do you want a brother or sister?
John: I have a brother.
Me: Oh ya, who?
John: Garrett.
Me: No, Garret is just your fri....
John: A DOG A DOG (seeing the neighbors dog in their backyard). Can her come inside my house?
Me: No, he lives over there in that backyard.
John: I see my backyard, and my pool, two pools a little one and a big one.

Next:
Me: Do you want to read a story?
John: ya, that one (pointing at all of the books)
Me: which one? The polar bear book?
John: No, that one makes Daddy cry. (this is a precious story called "God Gave Us You" that Grammie and Granddaddy gave us and we read it to him the week he was born, and both of us cried. We put it in the closet for a while b/c both of us would cry anytime we read it. Apparently Daddy still does.:) Softy!)

Next:
Me: Are you going to show Amelia your dinosaur when she comes over?
John: Her likes the big dinosaur, not the little dinosaur. Her not like sharks. Amelia is my sister.
Me: No sweetheart she is just a friend too.
John: Oh, no the sharks are coming. (jumping into the chair) Get in the boat, Mama you get in that boat (pointing to the other chair).
Me: what kind of shark is it?
John: A great white shark! He not get my toes, oh, Mama, pick you feet up. Swim over here. (as he jumps from one chair to the next) get in my boat.
Me: lets swim real fast and see if we can make it downstairs before the sharks get us.
John: Hold me. Swim swim swim.

And thus my plan to get him downstairs to eat breakfast worked... and our day begins...

1 comment:

Summer said...

so cute! this age is so fun when their language and imagination explodes. sounds like he really wants a baby bro or sis...better get on that!