Dear John:
Five years old seems like such a milestone in a child's life. For you, I see you teeter tottering on the big boy fence. I eat up pieces of that and get frustrated with some of it too. You love a good nursery rhyme CD just as much as "One Thing" by One Direction, and you know the words to several pop radio songs (thank goodness you don't know what a lot of it means though). You can do so many things by yourself but you would prefer us to do it for you any day of the week. Mostly you revert to baby tendencies when you are with me and act a bit more mature when I am not around.
I know I am your comfort zone and I want it always to be that way. I want you to always know that you can come to me about anything. At this age, you really use it to push my buttons though. The fits, although less often, are still a presence in our daily lives. Daddy and I have started a new technique that we are sticking too and it seems to be working for the most part. After reading a lot of books and articles and talks with friends and family, the Bible pointed me in the right direction with love and discipline, underlying love most of all.
You confuse your feelings quite a bit right now and when you are embarrassed or in pain you think you are angry. I am sure that will sort itself out soon. You are still either HOT or COLD about anything. There is no in between or indifference, you are your fathers son. You do not crave the spot light, but will step up to the task if you feel compelled. When it is just you and me and Matthew you will dance up a storm with me and I love it. I hope you dance like no one is watching the rest of your life. I wish I would have. I do now because of you kids and love every second of it.
Matthew is your best buddy and worst enemy right now. He does anything you ask and loves to be with you more than me most of the time, but he also takes attention away from you when you want it. I know it is hard to understand that one day you were that little and you got all that attention too. You are so protective of him. You will NOT let him out of your sight or lag behind us if we are in public at all! You get frustrated with me when I won't carry him when he is going slow. You even stick up for him when your friends are not careful of him. Another trait I hope you keep. Permanent playmates.
Meal time for you and me is one of the most challenging parts of our day. Your tastes seem to change with the wind, but really I think it is just your moods. All I want is for your pants to stay on! But I won't give in to the unhealthy choices every day, I know that starting the habit of healthy eating now will only help you to continue that through life. Don't think you are deprived though, you get special treats plenty!
Seeing your genuine smile when we tell you something you want to hear or when you do something all by your self for the first time, or you see something funny on TV, or laugh with your brother is the most amazing and fulfilling part of my day.
Watching your imagination when you play by yourself (and typically your legos or animals) is awe inspiring to me. I have little imagination, so to see it so naturally in you makes my heart all warm and fuzzy.
You have started to realize there are real evil things in the world and it makes me sad that your innocence is drifting away. You hear "weird" noises and think that something is in your room, and you talk about bad people taking things or hurting people. But you also mention Jesus or God at least once a day (excluding prayer) and it typically involves him being able to do anything (and you can come up with some curious things for him to do) or being bigger and stronger than anything. When I hear that it gives me peace that we have planted a seed in you and hope that you will always want to know more and be closer to God. He gave us to you and will see your faith to completion.
We love every piece of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























No comments:
Post a Comment