I thought I would elaborate a bit on pieces of our day with each post. Today - we look at what "play" means around here....
Right now, pretty much everything with John is "play" - in fact the most recent fun thing to do does not involve toys - but human jungle gyms - he is all over us, pulling up on us, climbing over us, patting our legs, etc. He can get to his knees, and if you hold your arms just right, he can get to his feet.
But of course toys do take up a good portion of the day. Balls of any size or material are abundant and always a hit. Other favorites include an 18 inch tall bouncy penguin that sings, the traditional bucket and shapes, a large plastic key chain that plays music, a basketball goal, a plastic fish and duck, rubber stacking blocks, a plastic cell phone and a taggie blanket. In addition to these traditional toys, he also loves cups, hats, remote controls, calculators (Like mother like son?!), show boxes and laundry baskets. :)
During his play time we will also go for walks, he is so quiet and content in his stroller as long as you are moving, he truly just relaxes and takes it all in. We will go out back with the dogs and blow bubbles, although he enjoys watching the dogs bite at the bubbles more than the bubbles themselves. And one habit that we have created is that anytime he passes a mirror, you have to say "Hi John" and wave, this produces a smile EVERY TIME! He likes to go around the house and look at and talk about all the people in the pictures. He stays pretty clam during this and interested in what I am saying and who he is looking at; this is one of my favorite activities.
We are always looking for new activities to learn and grow, so please feel free to suggest. I think we will start the spice/food sniffing activity like Abbey and Brendan soon, that sounds like fun. The pool is a bit too cold, but we may start heating up the hot tub and playing in that.
Okay - on to our Wednesday:
6:30 - 6:45 - in and out of sleep
6:45 - wake up and eat
7:10 - Play and cartoons "Little Einsteins" and "Mickey Mouse Club". He has discovered that he can crawl from the carpet onto the wood floor, so the house just got a whole lot bigger!
8:00 - Breakfast (apples and cherries, oatmeal and cherrios), high chair and play time
8:45 - Story "I Love You Stinky Face" and nap
8:55 - 10:30 - I clean the house (fun)
10:15 - 10:30 - waking up and play in crib
10:30 - eat
10:45 - shower and swing and both get dressed for the day
11:25 - run errands
12:45 - lunch (apple yogurt, rice and goldfish)
1:00 - play in the backyard
1:20 - Story "My many colored days" and "Goodnight Moon" and nap
1:30 - I work
3:00 - wake up and eat
3:15 - Play
5:00 - Eat
5:15 - 5:30 - play in crib while I do laundry
5:30 - activity center while I cook dinner
6:15 - Dad is home and dinner is served (pasta, rice and puffs) followed by Daddy play time
7:00 - Bath
7:15 - 7:30 - Daddy time
7:30 - start bedtime routine
8:00 - Mom and Dad time
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























8 comments:
Sounds like a lot of fun. John has so many cool toys! We need to come over and play! Oh, and I also really like "I love you stinky face" glad you found that one!
Yes! I love you stinky face! Didn't I get that for him? Still makes me laugh. It's funny to look at the overall theme of the day - "Eat, play, sleep, repeat." Tough life for a baby. K loved the laundry basket too - do you give him rides in it? That was a hit until she fell out of it once when she was crawling in and out and now she's a bit wary. I sometimes let her play outside with her food, in diaper only. She's big into feeling whatever it is she's eating so sometimes I just let her go at it. Applesauce, whipped cream, squeezing strawberries are all favorites. Again, diaper only for him and an old tshirt for you! And then a good time cleaning up for the dogs!
Yeppers, Summer you got us that book, we read your note every time we open it. Probably my favorite book thus far. Well, that and "Squishy Turtle and Friends"
And I am loving the "squeeze the strawberry" idea. What do you put her food on outside though? is she on a blanket or towel or something?
I am finding that our overall days are pretty routine, but at the same time, it took me writing it down to figure that out. Sometimes it just does not seem like that.
So I tried the "sniff" thing with the spices - I don't think John is old enough yet. He still wants to explore everything by putting it in his mouth. Every time I put a spice to his nose, he thought I wanted him to eat it, thus was fussy when I took it away. Maybe in a few months... :)
Like Brendan did (or rather does), John also enjoys pulling glasses off. It seems as though they patiently wait for the exact moment when you least suspect it and SNATCH, they're gone! I didn't realize what a draw glasses are as I could still see when the kids were little!
We have a big mat that we got from Sam's that we play on outside. I got it before she could walk so she didn't hurt her knees crawling around out there. She sits on that and I put her food on a plate. Well, actually now, she runs around on that and carries her food with her, there's not a whole lot of sitting still these days. But you can just hose it off when you're done. I love it - it's one of those colorful ones that have the tongue and groove things to fit together, highly recommended. It's like $20.
And I think that's the point at this age - to have a routine. Everything I've read/heard says that these routines are what make them comfortable in life, where they fit in and what to expect. We had a speaker at MOPS that was a child psychologist and she was saying it's the routine, stay at home times when the strongest bonds are formed with parents. Some people try and schedule every little activity and are always on the go, but the most secure children are the ones who have downtime at home and are just comfortable kicking it with their p's. I thought that was interesting.
We do some outside squishy play too or the sprinkler (which B calls "rain"). You're right about the spices though, we didn't start that until he was well over one and only maybe since July has he been really into it. Today poured amerretto oil all over me... Great fun.
I love comments! They make me smile. :)
Post a Comment