Monday, June 29, 2009

Searching for quick healthy meals

John pretty much eats whatever we eat for meals, with a few exceptions. However, I do not really eat a "healthy" lunch every day, and sometimes our dinners are either too spicy or too hard for him to chew and eat (still working on those back teeth).

So, I am search of some quick healthy meals that can be standbys when needed. Some things I already keep in the pantry for these types times:
- those prepared Gerber "healthy meals"
- beans of some sort - he loves with sour cream or ricotta cheese
- frozen chicken fingers
- grilled cheese sandwiches
- quesadilla

If you guys have any other suggestions - hand 'em over by way of comment! :)

5 comments:

Summer said...

You've covered most of Kaitlin's menu, so not much to add. We do sometimes just make those whole wheat noodles and add a little butter and butternut squash baby food and some shredded cheese. We basically add baby food veggies to whatever she eats, whether it be smearing it on a grilled cheese as a sort of spread, or mixing it in with spaghetti.

I've heard some babies love hummus - K not so much.

A go-to casserole I sometimes make which she LOVES is creatively called Hamburger Noodles Corn. I can make a batch of it and she will eat it for lunch all week. I also mix baby food in with this.

1lb hamburger
1 can tomato soup
1 can cream corn
8oz elbow macaroni (could use whole wheat variety)
1 cup shredded cheese

Brown hamburger. Cook noodles. Mix all ingredients together and bake for 30 min until bubbly.

Abbey said...

Wish I had great ideas, but really don't. We do have A LOT of yogurt in various forms either as snacks or part of a meal. He also likes pasta (buttered or with red/meat sauce) and oddly is rather fond of buttered barley or things involving rice or pasta. We do put veggie bits in these, usually whatever is left over.

He doesn't really eat much meat at all so we focus on other proteins like eggs (scrambled often with veggies, cheese, and or lunch meat), yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, various other sandwich options and various ways of getting cheese or beans in there. We tried a taco of sorts this week with beef, beans, avocado and cheese. Wasn't a huge hit, but did OK.

I'll think about it more, but he is in the eating strangely (some days just a tiny bit, others lots) so our food is a little irregular. Usually, he is just mostly having what we have, but doesn't always work of course.

Jamie said...

update - I fed him spinach mixed with some cream cheese today - he loved it!

Erin said...

An alternative to chicken nuggets that Ben LOVES are Morningstar Farm's spinach artichoke bites (this is saying A LOT since he hates all things green except the occassional green bean or pea):
They are in the vegeterian section at the store.

jcarr said...

If we can't get Kaedyn to eat anything else, she will eat and egg. Easy to do for dinner or lunch. Add a little cheese or veggies like Abbey said and voila! She also loves burritos. We make ours with black beans (much better for you then refried!! We mash them with a little olive oil), ground meat flavored with a little garlic salt (I usually add more "spice" to mine and Dave's!) and a little bit of mild salsa to "blend" it together. Top with a little cheese. We like to add chopped zuccinni for a veggie they don't even taste. We do that with spaghetti, too! I like Summer's idea of adding the baby food veggies...The burritos and spaghetti are GREAT left-overs (even to freeze) so great to make at the beginning of the week and serve over and over.