I get a ton of weekly emails from various websites telling me about what is going on with John's development and changes in his world, etc. On several that have come over the past few months there have been warnings about fits and tantrums and discipline and what not. Even on John's 15 month appointment, our pediatrician suggested that these scary times were coming and were completely normal....
So - I have to assume that John is one of few - but we have had NO discipline issues with him, and no real fits or tantrums (well at least from what I can tell). I write this post while knocking on wood, as I am sure most of you are saying "just wait" :).
He really does listen to us and he stops doing something when we tell him to. We may have to say it twice, or take him away from that activity, but that is it; he moves on with no tears and only sometimes a short-lived scream will squeak out. If he is does get upset about something out of his control (popping a balloon, dogs knocking him down, tripping when he runs, not being able to reach something) it is nothing that a quick hug or distraction will not take care of. I know there are non-believers out there (maybe not readers of this blog, but out there in general), but I really think the sign language has helped. When he is hungry, thirsty or sleepy, he shows me; when he wants more of something, he shows me. I think this cuts down on the screaming because he can communicate in other ways. I wish I would have started it earlier.
So, does it sound like I am bragging? Well, maybe a little, but mainly I write this to count my blessings out loud and to remember these times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























1 comment:
I said this about Kaedyn, too, and now she is cutting her own hair...and coloring on walls...and my leather couch....you have to beware of the quiet, sweet ones!! Hahaha!
Post a Comment