Friday, May 7, 2010

26th month

The most memorable moments of this past month have probably been the development of attitude and fits. Fits and whining are in full effect! Unfortunately this also means that time outs are in full effect. Well, not all the time, we are still playing with different ways to calm the fits and/or avoid them all together. Some of the fits include hitting or yelling or outright defiance; those are fun. I realize this is just him learning/testing the limits, but man oh man does he know how to push our buttons!

One day he put himself in time out for hitting Daddy with a plastic golf club, it was pretty funny. Then he peeked around the corner and said "hi Daddy, sorry Daddy". Then of course he got to come out and play. Sometimes he has to stay in time out until he can say he is sorry, but he takes his sweet time. He will flat say "I can't say sorry" and stay in time out.

I try to remember these funny times and laugh about it, but I also pray every night for patience and strength, along with repeating "this too shall pass" several times a day.

A few other memories from this month:

- Favorite phrases: "I can't like it", "I don't want to go pee pee", "On your mark, get set, go", "I want to eat" (personal favorite, it warms my heart to see him eat a full meal), "Mama is a girl, John is a boy, Daddy is a boy"

- He asks for and remembers his friends can come over and play. At least 3 times a week he asks if someone is coming to play.

- he got his first little boy hair cut. I miss his long hair, and am trying to convince Daddy to let it grow back out.

- He can remember the most random things and tell you bits and pieces of the story. Like one day went to Grammy's office and she had a dinosaur book for him in the drawer. He will randomly say "Go to Gammy's office, get dido book and see chairs" Then he proceeds to talk about the horse statue that was outside of her window. It makes me think about how much he has been soaking in before I knew it and wonder if I was censoring his world enough?!?!

- Potty training is still 100% done on the poo-poo side, but still only about 90% on the pee pee side. He still dribbles and he will not consistently verbalize when he needs to go. We are staying strong and patient though. Today I am going to start a potty chart with stickers, if he goes a full week (maybe shorter at first) with sticker everyday then he gets a special toy/treat/activity. Actually these past 2 days have been really good, so maybe we have turned the corner.

- He will 'read' book to us now, I am going to try my darnedest to get this on video, but he always clams up when I bring it out.

- MUCH more social at the Little Gym and at play dates. He still is not totally comfortable if I have to leave the room, but no more tears or latching himself to my leg. I think maybe I am seeing a little bit of a sharing issue starting, but am trying to derail it before it starts. But, you know what, I am actually okay with this b/c at least he is being social and he has the opportunity to learn how to share.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Yes, this too shall pass. I feel like we've finally turned a corner and all the consistent time-outs (and *gasp* spankings, we do that here for serious offenses) have paid off somewhat. There are still definitely trying moments, but rather than a multiple time a day thing, it's more of a multiple time a week thing. Baby steps to victory.

Can't wait to see you guys on Wed!

Lindsey Strittmatter said...

just wrote a whole thing on here - and it didn't post:( So we'll just talk "potty" on Monday!!