Dear John,
Four years you joined this world and it has infinitely made my world a better place.
The most significant event in your life this year was your little brother Matthew. There were mixed feelings throughout the year including regression, a little jealousy, and some anger thrown in there, but overall you absolutely love Matthew and you are impatiently waiting for him to be able to all-out PLAY with you. You are currently learning how to take it down a notch with him and what the true meaning of gentle is. When the two of you get to laughing at each other, it makes my heart happy; there is no better sound in the world.
Your love for drawing and art and your creativity still blow me away. Your drawings have become more complex and for the most part I can tell what they are before you tell me. The only ones that I have trouble with are the things you invent (i.e. flying dragon snake monster).
You are 99.99% out of your shell. I remember worrying when you are 18 months and well into your year third year that you had just made a comfy little home in that shell and were not planning on coming out. (Silly mama, first child worries make me laugh now) You take a few minutes with people you do not know, but other than that, you are off and running.
Mood swings are pretty intense with you and there is no in-between. You turn it ALL the way on or nothing at all. Hot or Cold and no in-between. It reminds me of someone I know. I think once you learn how to control those emotions you will have passion and drive like your Daddy does.
I do think the sleep, or lack there of plays a part in these mood swings and your struggle to deal with your emotions. You could easily take a 2 hour nap, but you would be up until the wee hours of the morning, thus perpetuating the situation. If you are in the car for more than 5 minutes anytime after noon, you will fall sound asleep. We are somewhere in the middle now with random naps for random durations. We make it through, but at varying degrees of insanity.
I am so excited to say most of all that you are still my cuddle bug. You love to cuddle and specifically ask for cuddle time. You still have to have your thumb in your mouth and your hand rubbing my ear. I am NOT going to miss the day you top sucking your thumb.
Life is more exciting and wonderful with you in it. I look forward to each and every day just to see your emerging personality and hear your laugh. When I stop to soak it all in and just watch you be, I know that any day I am going to turn around and you will be as tall as me and I will want to beg for YOUR attention. The thought of how fast you are growing up does ease the challenging phases. I love you with my heart and soul.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



























1 comment:
Such a great letter. I so enjoyed birthday week and am looking forward to Matthew's stories next!
Post a Comment