Friday, March 21, 2014

Happy THIRD Birthday Matthew: Dear Matthew

Dear Matthew,

My favorite year with you! You are so fun and so loving. You are silly and challenging. You are easy going but you can stand your ground and be a tough mess when you feel like it.

You love so many things I can't even count. You love swimming, dancing, EATING, going to the park, wrestling with Daddy, cuddling with anyone who will sit still long enough, watching TV, playing on the iPad, going outside, playing soccer or baseball or any other sport for that matter, your brother, legos, scooters, running, chasing, being silly, being a super hero with made-up super powers, watching movies in the car, doing things by yourself, and talking.

You completely dislike certain foods, some of which I put on your plate anyway and you eventually will eat (chicken and peanut butter bother me the most :)). You dislike getting in trouble. You utterly can not stand when brother teases you or bothers you on purpose. You dislike the word no. You get pretty frustrated when you get bored and do not know what to do; you just keep repeating "I not know what I am going to do".

You are the best sleeper and you love baths which were two blessings that God helped me out with to prevent insanity.

You are pretty violent with John and we can not seem to reign it in together. We are working on it, and hoping the phase passes anytime now. You are tough and can hit hard. Not sure a great quality in a 3 year old. EEK!

I have to be honest with you. I loved the stage that John was in too right before you came along… and then… you came along and threw a wrench (a welcomed one, but still) in the whole thing. So, you will understand that I am a bit anxious for what might be to come. I pray for your soul and for my own. I am a much more relaxed parent since those days, so hopefully I can better facilitate the transition.

You really do not have any friends your own age. I apologize for that. I put so much effort into fostering friendships within the neighborhood for John and have totally neglected for you. The friends he made when he was your age are still awesome bonds and I want you to have that too. You get along and can play so well with him and his friends, but that is not fair for you. I promise to put more effort in to scheduling playdates for you.

Your questions are so sweet and innocent and although they drive me crazy some of the time, I hope they never stop. In a very selfish and total fantasy land kind of way, I want all the information you ever get to come from me and those around you that love you so much. :)

No comments: