Wednesday, April 13, 2011

One less thing to do tomorrow....

Why is the house the cleanest and the chores are mostly done while I sleep? That just doesn't seem right, but it is the way it is around here. There is about 5 minutes of enjoying the semi-clean house and half-way done to-do list before it is time to shut off the lights and go to bed. Only to wake up and add the 3 "to-do's" that you thought of as you were drifting off to sleep and dirty the kitchen again when making oatmeal for the 3 year old that will cake it in the cracks of the table and drop a spoon full on the rug right before spilling his orange juice.

Another thing... it is never ending, seriously. I feel like I walk around here doing one thing after another, but never really getting anything done. Example: The events of this evening that got me to the point of writing this post.... SET SCENE: John is in bed, Matthew finally falls asleep, Carl is working on the boat outside, I decide I am going to knock out a few things on the to-do list. But first...I load the dishes and wipe of the table and counters....head to the living room to watch a few minutes of this new show to see if I am going to like it, end up picking up the living room...walk by the computer and pay the two bills we got in the mail today...while at the computer, remember to respond to a couple of emails...glance in the laundry room and see the dryer is finished, fold laundry... go into closet to get more clothes to wash, but I end up picking up the bedroom instead...start to realize that I have not really even made a dent in things that need to get done around here... start thinking about the blog and how I should write this down because these days will come and go before I know it...right??...maybe?!?!

My philosphy that gets me through it... I keep telling myself "it is one less thing to do tomorrow"

OH... NOTHING got done on the to-do list because I am off to wonder around some more and just do things as I see them.

3 comments:

Abbey said...

Totally relate. I mostly walked around like this today too and somehow still much clutter. Sigh. Some days are better than others and it definitely does get better. Hugs!

KC said...

Yes! I find that I am constantly doing maintenance chores and never really get to the grit! Hence the out of date blog and much on my to do list. I try to make myself feel better by saying that at least the maintenance things never make it on the to do list! I don't know...

Debra Dotter Blakley said...

It's the truth. Every mom knows it is the truth but the only way around it is to never give your child the freedom to be a child; to be so on them about neatness and not making a mess that the creative spirit is effectively squelched, blasted out of existence because their mom is so intent on a neat house. Kids make messes. You could try a backwards list, just for laughs. Have a pad of paper out on the table and as you pick up and do laundry and put away books just stop by and jot it down. You will be amazed at how many, many things you actually do get done every single day. You are doing the most difficult and most important job in the world right now: nurturing young humans as they grow; teaching them how to be good, compassionate people who will make a positive difference in the world. Every caring, attentive and exhausted young mom deserves the medal of honor in my opinion. God is watching he he smiles fondly as you care for you little ones.