Monday, April 23, 2012

A week in the life: 4 years old and 13.5 months old

I have started this post for 3 weeks now and stopped it because I decided it was an odd week and I wanted to post about a "regular" week.... well, I figured out that we really do not have "regular" weeks, and that I actually like it that way. It keeps things interesting

6:15 - Carl is up and out the door for work.

7:15 - I am still in bed when I hear John come down the stairs. He gets in bed and cuddle with me. Short lived...he turns on "bubble guppies". I get up and make some coffee, feed the dog, plan the day, start a grocery list....

7:45 - MJ wakes up and immediately asks for breakfast. Dinosaur oatmeal and grapes and strawberries for both of them.

8:20 - Finish grocery list while John plays with helicopter legos (he JUST got in trouble and I took his CARS legos away, and it takes things literally, so the helicopter legs were readily available. I need to be less specific). Matthew is bouncing around the kitchen, talking and playing and walking in circles.

8:30 - MJ asks for more food (note breakfast was less than an hour ago) and I give in about 8:45 and give him a blue corn chip (Food That Should Taste Good brand, yummo!).
I do a little laundry and then while Matthew plays in the laundry room (a regular activity), John and I print out some more activities for our red "summer activity book" from the computer.

9:00 - all 3 of us go into living room to play with soccer ball and various toys from the toy box. John plays with the ipad (drawing game) and I make some videos of them (going to attempt the video montage of this "week in the life"...uh huh).

9:45 - Matthew asks for MORE food, I give them both gogurts and then we all get ready for the day

10:15 - Matthew asks for MORE food (not kidding). I give them both a prune and a carrot cake muffing.

10:15 -11:35 - Target, get lunch at Chik-filet, and stop to get gas.

11:45 - lunch out back. Matthew has decided that he wants to use a fork. I am all for it! He actually did pretty good as long as I put the food on the fork. After lunch, they were both playing out back and John got a cut on his foot and then...well....all went to poo after that. I think the boy has a low pain tolerance. Several minutes of calming down the ALL OUT screaming we finally made it inside to get a band aid on it. and he watches Mike the Knight.




12:30 - nap for MJ, I clean, John watching TV

1:00 - John and I make dinner and these oatmeal muffin things (turned out pretty good, although I used honey instead of stevia and I think I will use more next time, not near as sweet as I wanted them to be). John really likes to help me cook.



2:00 - I finally shower and get ready while John watched Yo Gabba Gabba. We dance (he always asks me to dance during this show and Team Umizoomi) and he poops (this takes him 15 minutes, so it is noteworthy). Finish up some laundry and then go look at our the fish tank and our new fish Gilly.

3:00 - MJ is up and immediately asks for something to eat, yep. So he gets one of the oatmeal muffin things (linked above) and he eats almost 2 of them! Then John and I collect a bunch of scoops and spoons and containers and all the dry beans and corns in the pantry (left over from Thanksgiving craft) and go outside. For almost an hour both boys and I scooped and played and dumped and made a mess. This was a much bigger hit than I anticipated.






4:30 - Matthew wants more food, so I give him these organic "fiddle sticks" for babies, John is playing with helicopter legos again. Matthew finishes and is just following me around crying and whining (this is my least favorite part of the day) and intermittently exploring something he has found. On this particular afternoon it was a tomato off the table that he bit right into. Little stinker.


5:00 - I try to get them both in the living room to play so I can buy more time before I have to feed the bottomless pit that is my youngest son. This last about 15 minutes.

5:15 - prep dinner. Scrambled eggs with cheese, blueberries, carrot/raisin/pineapple salad, pureed cauliflower and cheese (they both had several bites of this without complaining).

5:30 - Carl gets home, but is in the driveway on the phone for about 20 minutes (this is pretty typical). Everyone is eating and then playing a bit. Carl and I have Stuffed Red bell Peppers in the slow cookers with couscous, goat cheese, and sausage. Super yummy, easy and healthy!

6:30 - John and Carl leave for a 7:00 Tball game. Since it is so late. MJ and I decide to stay behind. This was the first game or practice I have ever missed. I felt a little weird about it. I bathe Matthew and then we play in the living room until he wants food. I give him a squeeze pouch of Spinach, apples and rutabaga and some milk.


7:30 - book and bed for MJ. Super smooth and peaceful.

8:00 - John and Carl get home, quick bath for John and then off to bed without a fight. Super smooth and peaceful.

8:30 - watch TV, talk on the couch, write this blog, off to bed about 10:00.

No comments: